We are a group of international graduates in the process of launching an open access e-journal and we are now facing the different technical steps. Our based country has an ISSN national center, however we wonder if it is possible to get an ISSN from an other country (european or north american) even without being physically based there.

Thanks in advance for your answers

  • According to the Wiki page How ISBNs are issued: ISBNs are issued by the ISBN registration agency that is responsible for that country or territory. I think you'll need to talk to the agency. – scaaahu Oct 26 '16 at 11:36
  • 1
    Just curious: why would you want to do that? – Nate Eldredge Nov 17 '16 at 4:01
  • Are you sure there aren't already enough journals covering your field? There generally are more journals that one could wish for. Also, it sounds like you are trying to westernize your journal, possibly to increase its appeal. That sounds suspicious to me. Will your journal be pay for publish? – Cape Code Nov 17 '16 at 5:43

Check the website/contact info with the specific agency, since I think this varies a lot. If I'm not mistaken, we got a Brazilian ISSN for a publication of papers resulting from the undegrad research program in my uni and it was all done by mail...

You can find the info for the agencies here http://www.issn.org/services/requesting-an-issn/

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.