When I went to college, I remember there was an office that would help students, graduates and alumni get their first job. What is that office called?

P.S. If you feel the English Stack Exchange more appropriate for this question, please move it there instead of down voting it.

  • 3
    Placement office? Commented Sep 1, 2015 at 18:28
  • 6
    The exact name will probably depend on the institution. I just googled with the name of my son's college, and it gave me a short name (Career Center) and a fancy name (Center for Career and Professional Development). Commented Sep 1, 2015 at 19:10
  • It might not exist, at least formally. I routinely get requests for students (next to) graduate, even tough there are formal venues available.
    – vonbrand
    Commented Sep 1, 2015 at 23:37

3 Answers 3


In US universities, this office is commonly called Career Services or some variation on that, such as "career center", "career development", etc.


On campus, my career/alumni connection office was called the career center. They help students with their cover letters, resumes, interviews, connections and job postings. I am not sure for other schools if they have an office just dedicated for jobs, like a head hunting agency ran by the school.


It is called by various names - placement cell, placement center, career service, career center. There is no single name for it.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .