One of my Iranian friends wants to apply for a PhD program in computer science to a US university. He can't speak fluently even in our native language at all, but in the other side he has a relatively strong background:
- Good GPA in both MSc. and BSc. (> 18 out of 20)
- First rank in BSc.
- Graduated from most prominent university in Iran (Sharif Univ. of Tech.)
Question: is there any chance for his application to be approved and for him to get funded?
Note that my question is a little general. I'm not considering a particular university. What I am looking for is how much is it possible for a PhD student to not participate in presentations, lectures, team works, typically all works in which he should speak.
In the other hand, I've listed below what he can do perfectly.
- Teacher assistant for lower level students (designing exams, assignments, marking exams/quizzes papers, but not presenting at classroom)
- Review scholarly articles/papers
- Generally all regular jobs that a normal PhD student can do (excluding speech presentations and such assignments)