Other research-focused PIs (or aspiring PIs) how do/would you spend funding to increase your own wellbeing?
My funding stream (R1, USA) allows me some spending flexibility, and my lab is doing well. At the same time, I am a bit worn down. I am considering how I might buy myself greater wellbeing.
I plan to:
- travel to conferences more, and pay for extra time and childcare while I'm there so that my partner and I can explore and build connections
- set up outings for me and my graduate students
- pay for editing of my students' manuscripts, so that I can focus on concepts
- pay a personal assistant, to minimize paperwork and busywork
- hire a research scientist close to my own expertise to free me to learn more
- pay for classes or training that I find interesting
I think spending rules vary greatly, and I am less interested in what is allowed (and personally quite cautious about this). If not allowed by my university, I may well pay for a good idea myself. I'm also thinking about where perks can help my laboratory staff.
Where can money can buy an academic happiness, job satisfaction, and greater wellbeing?