There is a big push in the PhD program I'm headed into for candidates to apply for NSF grants (in fact, one of the required classes for the first year is a class on writing grant proposals, and as a final project, every candidate submits an NSF proposal). I'm assuming this is the same for any Science/Math PhD program, as funding is tight for many departments, and a grant basically makes you free for the University.

Are there any other options for Science PhD-level grants I could apply for?

  • 5
    This seems to be a shopping question.
    – StrongBad
    Commented Mar 7, 2016 at 0:23
  • 1
    "I'm assuming this is the same for any Science/Math PhD program," No, most are not so well organized. Commented Mar 7, 2016 at 1:40
  • 1
    Perhaps this should be community wiki. Commented Mar 7, 2016 at 7:00
  • What type of science are you in? Physical, life, ect.? Commented Mar 7, 2016 at 16:08

5 Answers 5


A few government fellowships come to mind:

There are also many fellowships from industrial research labs that you could look into, depending on your field (Intel, IBM Research, Microsoft Research, Facebook, Nvidia, etc.)

  • Note that fellowship programs are more oriented toward support of the student, and expect application for the fellowship at the same time as applying to programs, while this question is about proposals written during the first year, presumably toward support of particular research.
    – Ben Voigt
    Commented Mar 7, 2016 at 17:42
  • It's worth noting that the DOE SCGF was unfortunately only funded in the years 2010 and 2012, and does not appear to be accepting applications.
    – ARM
    Commented Mar 7, 2016 at 18:35

Don't forget about:


I think all the answers given so far (and several others) are included in the list at gradschools.com. Start with the list here:

It includes DOE CSGF, NASA, DHS, CDC, NDSEG, and NIH. Almost all the fellowships listed are primarily for STEM students.

A few of these are also relevant:

In particular: Hertz, NPSC, and a couple of others that have more narrow eligibility requirements.


For the international students, there aren't a lot of external funding opportunities. But do check out the HHMI international student fellowship. You can apply for it during your second or third year and it supports the student for the third to the fifth year. Unfortunately, only institutions with an HHMI investigator can nominate students for the fellowship, and only students in natural sciences are eligible.

  • For international students, there often are funding opportunities at the home country.
    – vonbrand
    Commented Mar 7, 2016 at 0:44
  • 1
    @vonbrand that's true without saying. But usually these opportunities come with strings attached so it's always nice to have alternatives.
    – Drecate
    Commented Mar 7, 2016 at 0:47

Some other funding sources include:

If you want to work for a Federal Agency, I would suggest searching their webpages for Fellowships/Internships. Some state agencies might also offer fellowship/scholarship/internship opportunities.

Note: Edited to add new fellowships that I learned about after the post.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .