My professor accidentally sent the draft version of the recommendation letter to UTD and it had a mistake of the university name as "[Enter university name]" which was supposed to be replaced with the intended university name. It was submitted into a portal. Is there any way to remedy this? I've already submitted the application and emailed them about the mishap. What are my chances to remedy this situation?

  • I am not sure what's the problem here. Can't your professor resend the letter?
    – Nobody
    Nov 17 '18 at 5:46
  • It's an online portal where you drop your submission and the portal is closed after you submit.
    – shrouded94
    Nov 17 '18 at 6:10
  • 1
    Most likely this will have no impact on the decision.
    – OBu
    Nov 17 '18 at 11:57
  • 1
    You can't do anything. In principle, the professor can resend the letter, either by revisiting the portal or by emailing the admissions committee directly, but it's really not worth the trouble.
    – JeffE
    Nov 17 '18 at 22:52
  • 1
    How do you know what was in the letter the professor submitted?
    – JeffE
    Nov 17 '18 at 22:53


Admission committees get this sort of thing frequently. We understand your professor's situation (because we write lots of recommendation letters ourselves). It is very unlikely that a committee would even bother to comment...

... and a tiny mistake on your professor's part certainly shouldn't affect your chances of admittance.

  • Are you a professor/teacher?
    – shrouded94
    Nov 18 '18 at 12:15
  • Yes, I am a professor.
    – Bill Nace
    Nov 20 '18 at 15:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.