I am just finishing my master in computer science in France. but the problem that I have a hard situation, I must go to my country many times and staying for a bit long time so I cannot stay all the year in Europe. I can stay three months in Europe and three months in my country and so on.. and to make the situation harder I cannot have a contribution between a university from my country and a university in Europe because the sanctions on my country. So I am searching for advice to do a PhD while I can go and return between my country and Europe. Because as I know in France it is not possible in the rules that I could be outside the lab for three months.

  • Please give more details regarding the visa issue. Feb 23 '18 at 18:02

There are definitely universities in Europe that allow you to be physically away from university for extended periods of time during a PhD. In fact, I would be surprised if you cannot find one in France.

I think a bigger problem than the actual rules, both for a potential supervisor and for yourself, is that it sounds like you might be too preoccupied with your external situation to do an excellent job as a PhD student.

Have you considered options for resolving your situation before you start your PhD? Maybe work in a temporary research position while you are trying to resolve it?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.