Background: I am a final-year mathematics student in the US applying for jobs at small colleges.
One of my job applications at a small, teaching-focused school requires a "Contributions to Department Statement", but elaborates very little, saying only that it's "a statement on how the candidate can contribute to the academic programs and activities of the department." That being said, what exactly are they looking for?
A few things I thought of:
- Undergraduate research mentorship
- Supervision of math club/honorary
- Proposals for new courses
- Incorporation of technology (Mathematica, for example)
- Recruitment/retainment of populations underrepresented in mathematics
Any thoughts whatsoever are appreciated.