I am willing to pursue a PhD degree in Northern Europe (mostly in Scandinavia). So, I take advice from differen professors of my university.
The exact question I asked was:
I want to complete my PhD degree in a Scandinavian Country
Some of them told me that it does not matter where I want to go. Others told me that it changes with respect to the region I want to go.
I was ready to be satisfied with only one common advise, however, most of them told me completely different expectations.
They can be summarized as:
- Cumulative GPA should be 4.00/4.00.
- You should publish a conference paper.
- You must publish a journal paper in a mediocre journal.
- Most important thing is getting very good reference letters.
- It is just luck. You should give every university a try.
- They mostly look at your cover letter.
- You should find someone that you know from that university. He/she should advise you.
Are these sentences professors' own expectations? Or are some of them completely true?
Should I take all of them into consideration?
To sum up:
I am pursuing a PhD in Scandinavia. What should I do? Are the expected qualifications same as US or Asian countries?