Most journals require you to state your funding sources. I am a current phd candidate, submitting a paper as sole author, and my funding currently comes from a teaching assistantship, which is paid for by the department, not my advisor. I feel that people usually list any grants/awards in their funding acknowledgment. What am I supposed to put? "Supported by department X in X university?"

  • I have seen papers say "No particular funding supported this research." You should check with your advisor May 12, 2021 at 20:17
  • Do you have other financial support for your research? Computer, desk/office, other support personnel?
    – Bryan Krause
    May 12, 2021 at 20:26
  • I have an office and laptop, but those are also paid for by the department and not my advisor.
    – Taw
    May 12, 2021 at 22:18
  • Then at a minimum I'd credit the department for funding.
    – Bryan Krause
    May 12, 2021 at 22:40
  • If the department is your affiliation on the paper, then I don't think it's necessary to separately acknowledge it for the office and computer. May 13, 2021 at 2:59

1 Answer 1


A TA doesn't directly fund your research. It funds you, personally and allows you to be a student. Your research hasn't been funded specifically other than the fact that you may have an office, etc. There is probably a tuition waiver, which is a sort of general funding.

You could list the department and university generally as you suggest. You could probably also list "none", but the department might be the better option.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .