I want to cite an example from a published paper. However, there is a mistake in the glossing as well as in the translation of the example. Imagine something like this (mistakes in bold):

Ich sehe ihn.
I see.2SG he.ACC
'We see him.' (SomeAuthor 2018: 1)

So, I know that [sic] or [sic] is used to indicate mistakes found in the original source. In this case, however, I'd rather just use a corrected version of the example - without citing the mistakes, as they are not relevant and could cause confusion.

Is there a common way to do this?

I was considering something like this:

Ich sehe ihn.
I see.1SG he.ACC
'I see him.' (SomeAuthor 2018: 1, corrected)


If the mistakes are indeed as obvious as this (i.e., there cannot be a difference of interpretation), I would just use the corrected version and add a footnote to the citation in which you explain the differences.

If there could be a debate over which is the correct gloss or translation, list your own version but cite with something like "cf. SomeAuthor", and again add a footnote, this time with discussion as well.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.