I have done my masters a couple of years ago and now I want to do my PhD. I have been trying to get funded positions but no success yet. Without wasting my time, I am thinking about joining PhD program on my own funding. I know it will be hard for me, but I can do parttime work etc. Moreover, I am thinking to keep applying for funded positions or may be the current professor has funding later on.
I am not sure if it would be okay to leave a phd position. I read here that it would be unethical to leave a funded PhD and they have valid reasons that they fund you and invest you. However, in my case, I am totally self-funded.
So my Questions are:
- Would it be okay/ethical to leave phd given that I am self funded.
- Will I get any PhD position if I tell this to professor/admission committe?
- Should I tell them upfront about the possibility of me leaving before?
- will professors understand my justifiable reason to switch to phd to a better and funded position? May be I need a recommendation letter from them in future and I don't really want to create any bad impression of myself.
Reasons to register for self-funded phd position:
- I don't want to waste my time any further; it has already been an year and a half.
- I shall get a research experience and will be in academia network that will help me to get a funded position.