I remember reading somewhere about someone who started publishing referee reports they had written online, along with sending them to the journal (or after). Unfortunately I do not remember where I saw this and can't seem to find it now.
I see strong arguments for this practice.
- A lot of time and effort is spent on report writing, so why not list them.
- Transparency for its own sake.
- Transparency for the sake of increasing quality.
Obviously there are issues:
- Copy right or other legal issues with journals prohibiting the publication of reports [has to be taken up with the editor]
- If the paper itself is not published, publishing the report might be harmful to the authors [one could wait until the final version of the paper is published]
My question: Is this already common practice somewhere and do repositories exist where one can upload reports? Are there other strong counterarguments I am missing?