For the UK, your visa is connected to your contract. Once the contract ends, you must leave the country (unless you have found another contract and obtained another visa). If you legally stay in the UK long enough through a series of contracts to get residency/citizenship then you would be eligible for benefits like anyone else. There is no real concept of '...


A UK postdoc does not come with any dedicated 'unemployment insurance'. However, a postdoc who has reached the end of their contract would (unless otherwise ineligible) be able to claim government unemployment benefits.


I am not familiar with UK law; it's also certainly possible something there is something to your contract that would change this answer, but I don't see how you can get that addressed without your contract in hand and a lawyer by your side. I am currently paid well below the national average salary for my role, and I have little assurance of a substantial ...

Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible