I was a student at a community college and did research as an undergrad at a small university. After finishing up my summer research, I continued to do poster presentations, all three of which I indicated my community college as my affiliation, as the research was funded through them. In addition, I was still at the community college.

Currently, I am not at a larger university and we are about to have our manuscript published. Do I need to change my affiliation to something else, or should I keep it as it is with my Community College.


You can have multiple affiliations on a paper. When transitioning from one institute to another while working on a paper, it is common to list both institutes as affiliation. You should list all those places where a significant amount of work has been done. That is, if you run a study at institute A and write the paper while working at B, list both A and B.

If you are currently without any affiliation only mention your former place.

  • Almost all of my work was with my professor at his institute. For funding purposes, I had to technically use my home institute for the poster, but given that the latter was done without their funding, can I also use my professor's institute? I'm not adding the current Institute I'm at. I just started my second half of getting my BS in Mechanical Engineering and I haven't done any work here regarding the publishing. – Jon Sep 26 '17 at 0:37
  • Have you been working/studying/employed at your home institute? If yes, better add both. Would there be a problem adding it? – Mark Sep 26 '17 at 0:39
  • I'm not sure. I already have one institute listed, but I honestly don't see why not to add my prof's institute as mine as well, given I worked there. It might actually help him more. – Jon Sep 26 '17 at 0:40
  • As said in my answer, add both then. – Mark Sep 26 '17 at 0:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.