I'm in my last year of Ph.D. (US University); Lately I worked (paid position) full-time (35-40 hours/week) as a summer intern with a company off-campus with CPT authorization. The work was directly related to what I was trying to accomplish in one of my dissertation chapters. My advisor/school didn't have to pay me during the summer semester because I was making more than enough. The company is willing to help me continue working on my project on a part-time basis (<20 hr) over the upcoming fall semester; but the money I'll be making won't be enough for my living. My department, on the other hand, is willing to resume my monthly salary as a GRA (also part-time <20 hr, but enough to cover my expenses). As far as I'm concerned, employment, both on and off campus together, is limited to 20 hr/week or less while school is in session for international students. Is it then possible to work 10 hr as a GRA at my institution and 10 hr at the company? Is there an option for two 'part-time' employment for F-1 students while school in session? Any other solution?

  • 3
    You should consult with the international student advisors (or equivalent) at your university; they are more familiar with the relevant laws and regulations. That being said, my understanding is that without OPT or CPT you can't get off-campus employment. – Drecate Jul 31 '17 at 4:33

As far as I understand, you can have multiple jobs as long as the total number of hours does not exceed 20. You do need CPT to continue working off-campus, so stop by the International Student Office to make sure your specific university allows you to hold these two jobs.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.