In many places, a title column is asked where I fill Mr. After getting my PhD can I "officially" change it to Dr.? Is this country dependent? I want to know about India, DrUK and US.

  • 7
    You can still sign a document with Mr/Ms/Mrs/etc. even if you passport says "Dr.". - As a general rule, I would recommend using the title only where it is (academically) appropriate (e.g. application for a research position, conference) but not where it would be simply boasting (e.g. hotel/airline reservations). – DetlevCM Jul 21 '17 at 7:21
  • @DetlevCM: Well, there's always the places where people might belittle you, and having a Ph.D. might prevent that. I have a friend in Germany and she told me that it was very hard for her to find an apartment, until she got her Ph.D. and once people see "Dr." as the official title, it is far far easier to find an apartment. (And this difficulty is partially corroborated by a different friend who wanted to live in Germany for a while, and went there with literally huge wads of cash, but still got denied by some landlords because he didn't have a stable job.) – Ink blot Nov 22 '17 at 14:21
  • I heard, in Germany, that if you have a PhD then you expected to update your passport. I'm not 100% sure thu. – The Guy Nov 22 '17 at 14:26
  • 2
    @TheGuy: You can, but you don't have to. – O. R. Mapper Nov 22 '17 at 16:57
  • 2
    @TheGuy You have to get a new passport every few years anyway, so you are a lot cheaper off by waiting until you have to get a new one because the old one expired. – Mark Nov 22 '17 at 18:23

PhD is an academic degree. It is actually dependent on person and country whether to use the title "Dr." in passports and other relevant documents.

However, using Mr. would be wise to avoid a confusion between a doctor (MBBS, MD) and a doctorate (PhD). As per UK gov website, it is not advisable [1]

I have never come across anyone using Dr. in legal documents. Moreover, it is not really a necessity to include Dr. in official/legal documents. For example, I still see my supervisor (who is a senior professor with PhD in 1990s) gets official documents with his name titled "Mr.".

| improve this answer | |
  • Even MBBS is an academic degree only no? They can put Dr on their passports, right? – vassalraja Jul 20 '17 at 9:49
  • Yes, it is. That is why it should not be used. – Coder Jul 20 '17 at 9:50
  • 17
    "I have never come across anyone using Dr. in legal documents." - it's not unusual here in Germany, and it sometimes gives you a bit of an advantage when dealing with banks and similar (in that they (irrationally, I'd say) assume they can give you a higher credit allowance etc.). – O. R. Mapper Jul 20 '17 at 9:56
  • @O.R.Mapper Oh, I didn't know about Germany. This is quite interesting. Thanks for the information. – Coder Jul 20 '17 at 10:19
  • 4
    The link you provided says that professional titles such as Doctor are acceptable without limiting it to medical doctors. It merely says that academic and professional qualifications are not allowed. So you can't have "PhD" or "MD" in your UK passport, but you can have Doctor/Dr. included as an observation. – JAB Jul 20 '17 at 20:22

As far as the USA, their passports do not have a title field for marital status (Miss, Mrs) professional titles (Dr, Rev, etc) or for titles or nobility (Dame, Sir, etc) so it’s a moot point for American passport holders.

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    For what it's worth, titles are not entered on Irish passports either. – Shane O Rourke Nov 22 '17 at 20:45
  • 2
    Nor in italian ones – Alchimista Dec 11 '17 at 19:49

I think it depends on you whether you use Dr. or not. Getting a PhD is a very important and difficult accomplishment and you should feel proud of it. If you want to use Dr in any circumstance including in your passport (if allowed) go for it. If you don't feel like it then don't. I don't get why people would be worried about being confused with a MD A MD is a Dr just like anybody else, it has no higher or lesser importance. If someone gets confused then they can ask you what you are a Doctor of. My suggestion is use it whenever you feel like it, you worked really hard for it.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.