I am originally from one country but study at university in a different country. Now, my native country asked me to prove that I study at this university and I want to ask my university to bring me document for that. What is this document used to be called?

Can I call this document "study confirmation letter" or "confirmation of studies"?

I found (here) the phrase "proof of study" ans also "Certificate of Enrolment" (here), "proof of enrolment" (here) but "proof of study" as well as "confirmation for studies" both seems to be for those who are graduated already while I'm still student there. I would like to take you advice for the conventional way (that everybody at the university office can understand) to call what I need.

  • 1
    Talk to them. I'm sure you can explain what you want.
    – Shake Baby
    Jul 3, 2017 at 18:38
  • 1
    In USA, many schools call this "Verification of enrollment" (VOE)
    – KyleW
    Jul 3, 2017 at 19:04
  • 1
    In the U.S., often "transcript" is the document shows the courses you've taken and the grades you received, whether or not you obtained a degree. If you completed even a single course (in the U.S.) the university/college can send "official transcripts" to other institutions to prove what you've done. Jul 3, 2017 at 19:50
  • They didn't ask for transcript but for confirmation that I was studied there. They don't care about the marks. Jul 3, 2017 at 20:09
  • Also see here (the people there sent me to ask here): ell.stackexchange.com/questions/134366/… Jul 4, 2017 at 6:39

2 Answers 2


I think there is not a single standard name for this document (I am assuming you are asking for its name in English - if not you should probably specify a language), as all the comments show, but there are some simple phrases that would convey what you are asking - it isn't necessary that you know exactly the name for the document at your institution. Also, what you are asking for isn't that special, the university should understand what you need.

I would suggest you simply request "proof of enrollment."

Note that your university might have some automated process for producing such documentation, for example at my current institution there is a process for "enrollment verification" here, and a particular email address to contact if you need the verification mailed or sent in a more official way than obtaining a pdf.

A web search for your institution plus "proof of enrollment" should direct you to something similar for your institution - I tested it on several US and UK universities and all gave me the necessary information on the first or second result returned.


I once had to acquire a "Certificate of Matriculation" or "Confirmation of Matriculation," similar to what is described here: http://www.ed.ac.uk/student-administration/order-documents/matric-certificate.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .