In my department each person gets a fixed amount of money to spend to buy a computing technology. Usually people here spends it on MacBooks and Apple screens. I bought myself a better laptop for less money and I am not planning to buy an additional screen either, therefore I still have some money in my budget to spend.

I can use some GPU power, however I don't have a working computer to put the card in (only a laptop). I can however, put it into my own (private) computer, and run GPU related jobs there. Can I do that?

The other option is to buy a whole new computer with the card in, which would cost more of the public money.

Of course I won't sell it, and give it back after the end of my contract, if they ask me to, however it would be probably obsolete at that point.

  • 15
    Ask your grant manager. – henning -- reinstate Monica Jun 15 '17 at 10:10
  • 2
    To the user who raised the close flag, I fail to see how this question is off-topic. Would you please explain? – scaaahu Jun 15 '17 at 10:52
  • 2
    Depending on where you live, you might not even be able to buy the GPU in the first place. At least at my institution (in Europe), things like that usually have to be bought for a specific (department-owned) computer, not as a standalone item. – Disenchanted Lurker Jun 15 '17 at 10:58
  • 3
    @Roland Your conclusion in your first comment is very quick and not backed up. Certainly not if the country is not known. – yo' Jun 15 '17 at 15:12
  • 2
    @scaaahu I voted for said close flag, for the reason specified. The answer to this is entirely based on national and institutional policy, and does not have a generalizable answer. – Fomite Jun 15 '17 at 21:12

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.