I got an offer for a PhD position which, due to my financial status, I can only accept if I am awarded a scholarship, which is currently in consideration. Recently, I received a job offer which has to be answered before the scholarship announcement date. I cannot delay on that because there are few other potential candidates for that position. Although I find it interesting but it's OK if I turn an offer down as I currently have one already. Moreover, the PhD is much more important to me. So my question is whether asking the university to speed up in their consideration affects the chance to get the scholarship. If it's possible, can someone let me know how the university deals with this situation?
I cannot easily quit a new job early as it has a fixed-term, more like minimum-term, contract because I will receive 3 months of overseas training at the beginning so they don't want me to leave too soon.