What would you call an umbrella organization that unites a university faculty, an extra-academic non-profit research center, and a NGO?

These organizations plan to pool resources to facilitate scientific research, apply for grants, and co-publish. As there are advantages to developing a single entity to those ends, we plan to form an umbrella organization. But how to call it: a hub, a research centre, a working group… it seems there are no standard terms.

Do you guys have any experience with such entities and how they are called?

1 Answer 1


In my experience, an organization that organizes activities across multiple organizations would be called a coalition.

  • 3
    or consortium (and at this point one can start looking up synonyms!)
    – Carol
    Commented May 10, 2017 at 14:28
  • Coalition sounds like political bloc, no?
    – Teusz
    Commented May 10, 2017 at 15:02
  • 2
    No, coalition is used for health and social services. For example, the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. Commented May 10, 2017 at 15:06
  • 1
    I've seen "Partnership" used as well. Commented Jun 9, 2017 at 14:35

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .