I am going to submit a paper to a IEEE transaction. I am a student member of IEEE. In the auther line of the paper, do I append "IEEE, Member", "IEEE, Student Member" or nothing after my name?

  • 1
    I think "IEEE, Student Member" is the best choice. – antmw1361 Mar 21 '13 at 3:05
  • Why do you want to hide your affiliation with your university? – user13107 Mar 21 '13 at 4:18
  • 7
    @user13107: IEEE stupidly insists that all authors who are IEEE members identify themselves as such on the title page. The authors' university/industry affiliations are listed on the title page as well. – JeffE Mar 21 '13 at 5:03

I have published in the IEEE and "Student Member, IEEE, " is what you should write after your name (if you care to), because you're not a full member. Note that it doesn't have any benefits to it — you don't get a discount/additional copies/favorable review/faster review/muffins/... nada. It is exactly the same as if you had listed nothing at all.

Perhaps the only advantage might be for senior members, who want visibility (as a member) in order to be elected a Fellow, and for Fellows, if they want to show off (but by that point, you probably don't care).

  • 3
    Having said that, I don't know why you're asking such a localized question on this site. Go consult your journal's manuscript guidelines article for such minor details. – user6431 Mar 21 '13 at 8:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.