I am currently an undergraduate student looking to work on a senior thesis. Over the course of the past summer and sporadically throughout the Fall semester, I worked with a professor in extremal graph theory. There has been some (from my point of view) subtext between us that I would continue this work into my senior year, though this was never explicitly said.

However, I want to pursue something more algebraic, and have been in contact throughout the Fall semester with a professor working in algebraic graph theory.

How do I tell my current research advisor I want to work in a related field with another professor?

  • 2
    "I want to work in a related field with another professor."
    – JeffE
    Mar 29, 2017 at 12:00

1 Answer 1


Just tell him. Be polite. You're over-thinking this.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .