This graduate policy handbook states

"A master’s student may transfer up to 4 semester units or 6 quarter units of course work completed as a graduate student at another institution."

In this context, does "4 semester units" refer to 4 credit hours or 4 graduate courses?

  • 2
    Did you try emailing the department? – TCSGrad Mar 11 '13 at 20:37
  • 1
    Almost certainly the former, but only they can give you a definitive answer. – JeffE Mar 12 '13 at 3:44

"Semester units" are up to the definition of the school. Some people call a "unit" one course; some people call a "unit" a fraction of a course.

For example, just among the US schools that I have been affiliated with (or visited for an extended period of time):

Yale: 1 semester course = 1 unit

Harvard: 1 semester course = 1/2 unit

Princeton: 1 semester course = 1 unit

MIT: 1 semester course = 9 or 12 units

UConn: 1 semester course = 3 or 4 "credit hours"

So you definitely need to consult the individual school catalog to see what system they're using.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.