My advisor is responsible for assigning teachers to conducting excercises to lectures. Since there is a lot of students (and groups) sometimes last year students help by taking excercises in some groups. For the past 5 months I've been employed by the university and I've worked a couple of hours a week taking classes, without a formal position at the university (and for sure won't have until I finish my masters).

Right now I am writing a CV and I would like to include the last 5 months in my work experience but I don't know how to name my position - is "Math teacher @ university" a good one?

  • Have you considered reading your contract for these details? – Dmitry Savostyanov Feb 14 '17 at 20:30
  • Yes, but the contract is regarding conducting X classess, there is no formal position named, and "math teacher" sounds a bit high-schoolish. – Mike Feb 14 '17 at 20:32
  • I'd ask your advisor on this. If you are getting paid then I'm surprised they don't have a title listed somewhere for you, even if it is an internal title. – Austin Henley Feb 14 '17 at 20:37
  • 3
    I'm confused about what you're doing. Are you leading a separate tutorial/exercise session that runs concurrently with lectures? If so, I would say you're a teaching assistant or in the British system a Tutor running a tutorial. – mkennedy Feb 14 '17 at 20:44
  • Yes, I lead separate excercise sessions on which I show how to apply what they learned on lectures in practice. THanks for the response i think teaching assistant is suitable here. – Mike Feb 14 '17 at 21:06

Having worked at a university in HR, you are classified as an employee and you definitely have a "job title". Since you're a graduate student, you could be classified as a "Teaching Assistant" or "Graduate Assistant". I would recommend reaching out to your HR department and simply asking them what you your title is in the system.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.