My official name is Md. Tipu Sultan. Can I use only Tipu Sultan for publishing scientific articles or would there be any problem? I already have published a articles as Tipu Sultan.

  • Welcome to Academia SE. I am quite confident that your situation was already asked on this site, though I cannot find it right now. Please take a look at the questions in the personal-name tag. If some questions only partially address your problem, please edit your question to elaborate what wasn’t addressed (to avoid your question being closed as a duplicate).
    – Wrzlprmft
    Commented Jan 31, 2017 at 12:43
  • 1
    If you've already done it, then you know you can, right...? Am I missing something?
    – user9646
    Commented Jan 31, 2017 at 13:06
  • Yea I can. But as you know some journal ask to put full name during submission. What should i do for that case?
    – S. Tipu
    Commented Jan 31, 2017 at 16:27
  • This post isn't exactly your question but the answers there should help you. The summary is that you should choose a name to publish under, and publish only under that name. I would interpret a journal's request for a "full name" as referring to your full published name in either or both of two ways: 1) They want to make sure you put Tipu Sultan instead of T. Sultan, or 2) They want to make sure you don't only put your surname.
    – Bryan Krause
    Commented Jan 31, 2017 at 16:48
  • I'm wondering if in the times of Author IDs as ORCID at least the argument about online databases becomes less relevant. Commented Jan 31, 2017 at 18:11


Browse other questions tagged .