Does your country have any academic degrees after the PhD? If yes, what is it called and how graduating this degree?

Additionally, what is a Post-Doc? Is it a degree or something else? I have seen some people refer to a post-doc in their CV as they would a degree. Is this acceptable?

  • I'm closing your main question as it's a duplicate of a previous one. As for your question concerning what is a postdoc, you can have a look at: academia.stackexchange.com/q/2173/102
    – user102
    Commented Mar 5, 2013 at 22:51

3 Answers 3


In general, a PhD is the highest degree you can get. A postdoc is simply a research position that is not permanent, i.e. no fixed contract or tenure. There are some exceptions, for example in the German system where you can get your Habilitation, which is a degree after you get your PhD. But in most systems there is nothing beyond a PhD in terms of degrees.

  • Thanks for your answer. In our home country we have it. In Mongolia is so called Doctor of Science (ScD). PhD and ScD is very different degree by our rule.
    – Uranchimeg
    Commented Mar 5, 2013 at 21:45

Many countries have higher degrees than the PhD.

In the UK, there's

  • Litt.D Doctor of Letters / Literature
  • DSc Doctor of Science
  • LL.d Doctor of Laws
  • D.D. Doctor of Divinity

Each of these typically requires the submission of a body of work - a research portfolio - together with a critique of the work. Or they may be awarded as honorary degrees; see the links above for the requirements for the degrees from the University of East Anglia (Litt.D, DSc, LL.d), and the University of Oxford (D.D.), accordingly.

A post-doc is just an academic research job that's typically done after attaining a PhD. It's not a degree in its own right

  • Thanks for answer. It was interesting to read about different Doctor degrees in different country.
    – Uranchimeg
    Commented Mar 6, 2013 at 20:09

As @Paul Hiemstra pointed out, the highest degree level is a Doctorate (Dr) however, with this in mind, there are different academic titles that you can gain if you work at a University or high-educational institute. Here are a few:

  • Senior Lecturer (Usually appointed to a academic with a level of experience, this is usually how many years they have been at a University).

    • Master Lecturer (This is usually a rank about a Senior Lecturer)

    • Reader (This is someone who usually has a vast amount of knowledge and a strong academic background who is employed by the University not so much to lecturer, but, to carry out research for the university).

    • Professor (I believe this title is different in the US but this title is given to an academic who has an outstanding background in research and has published books, received a lot of funding for the particular University.) A Professorship is not something that can be studied for, it is something that is achieved and you are selected for by a special panel.

You can find more about titles here

  • Thanks for very detailed answer. I am agree with you that Professor is academic person who have own space in any kind of science research field.
    – Uranchimeg
    Commented Mar 6, 2013 at 20:13
  • 2
    This doesn't answer the quesstion. It's also restricted to the UK; other countries use different terms and/or use some of these terms in different ways. It also seems to be based on a misunderstanding: you say that a reader is employed "not so much to lecture" but even lecturers spend the majority of their time on research at the older, research-based universities. I've never heard of a "master lecturer". Commented Jul 2, 2015 at 8:37

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .