I am an EU citizen who is going to apply to PhD Physics programs soon. My ultimate goal is to become a university professor. In considering which university I should attend for PhD, factors such as tuition & program differences don't matter to me. What matters is that I don't feel like doing (nor do I agree with) the GRE (which would require a significant preparation), thus applying to PhD programs in the US might be out of the picture for me. However, the question pertains that if I want an academic career (ultimately, a professor position) in the US in the future, does it matter from which university I get my PhD degree?

Note: I do not care about a uni's rank or status. What I care about is whether the uni's location (different country) will affect where I can get jobs later on...

PS: On a separate matter, I've heard that PhD graduates in the US can obtain academic jobs without going through postdocs, is that true? If so, what does it take do achieve that?

  • In answer to your non-postdoc question to tenure track sidebar, yes, it is possible in some fields (such as philosophy), but in other fields I gather 1 to 2 postdocs is the norm. But it's almost entirely field dependent (and then luck getting a TT without having to find something else). – virmaior Jan 16 '17 at 12:58
  • The separate matter should be asked in a separate question. Regarding the main question: Maybe focus on the aspect of whether there is an advantage of getting your PhD from a university in the same system as you want to get a faculty position at? Other aspects have already been covered in the quesiton linked by virmaior. – Arno Jan 16 '17 at 15:09
  • I don't know that I agree that this is a duplicate of that question, since that question concerns rank and OP explicitly states that they don't care about rank, but rather that they care about country. However, I know that this question has been addressed here -- but I'm unable to find the answer in question. – la femme cosmique Jan 17 '17 at 11:54

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.