I would like to find information about in which universities (not research centers), is faculty hired with permanent positions, for performing mainly (more than 90% of their time) research activities.

  • What are you looking for? A list? Categorized by field? There are... quite a lot of universities in the world. – David Richerby Oct 11 '16 at 9:24
  • 40 work-hours a week, usually 4x45min of teaching during semester, i.e. 6-7 months per year, that is ~4% of teaching. ;-) – Karl Oct 11 '16 at 11:22
  • Norway offers permanent positions. – Mohammad Zahrawy Dec 10 '17 at 21:34

None that I know.

What differentiates a university from a research center is the presence of students. So teaching is part of working at a university. Moreover, universities are typically (to some extend) self-governed. The freedom we enjoy at a university can only exist if we are the ones that make the decisions. You cannot have one without the other. (That does not mean that there isn't any room for increasing the efficiency of that process, but that is another story.)

If you earn a Nobel prize or a Fields medal, you can probably negotiate something. Alternatively, it is sometimes possible to get a position with a "normal" amount of other duties and then apply for funding to get these duties reduced for a couple of years.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.