Do top American universities (such as NYU, etc.) sponsor H1B visa petitions for staff position? If yes, what type of jobs are sponsored in staff positions?

  • I edited it to make it more generalizable and apropos for this SE.
    – RoboKaren
    Commented Sep 27, 2016 at 17:41
  • The key here is the nature and duration of the job. You simply can't sponsor an employee for an H-1B visa if the position doesn't require at least a Bachelor's degree. You can't sponsor without being able to assert that qualified US citizens/residents weren't available- for most low level administrative and IT positions, that can be tough. It also makes little sense to sponsor for an H-1B visa if the position is for a limited time- thus many universities won't sponsor an H-1B visa for a one or two year post-doc or visiting assistant professor position. Commented Sep 27, 2016 at 19:54
  • Actually, the sites I looked at seemed to suggest it happens pretty regularly. But yes, absolutely must be specialized and long term.
    – Raydot
    Commented Sep 27, 2016 at 20:07

1 Answer 1


Yes. A simple google search for "H1-B university staff" links to a bunch of federal and school-specific policies. It goes without saying these roles are reserved for people with "specialized knowledge," etc. Also a link to a similarish question about faculty is here.

You asked "what type" and I missed that the first time around. Here is a link to a page that explains H1B jobs open at NYU. Not all but mostly faculty positions.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .