I'm about to publish a paper with my previous group.

I'm not in a permanent position, and my boss doesn't care if I mention or if I don't mention my current institution in the paper.

For me, a researcher who wishes to have a permanent faculty position, would it be helpful or not at all to do that?

  • 1
    In physics, you would be with your old affiliation at the top of the paper, with a footnote to your 'current address'. – Jon Custer Sep 23 '16 at 0:15
  • Yeah. I understand that. But is that something really important? Or no one really cares. – ziulfer Sep 23 '16 at 3:18
  • It is important to give the old affiliation as mentioned by @Jon Custer. But, the readers may like to reach you in future. So, it is wise to give the current one with a footnote saying that present address – Coder Sep 23 '16 at 7:43
  • Add a personal email address and URL, then readers can reach you, regardless of where you are. – user2768 Sep 23 '16 at 13:05

The work should be credited to the institute at which it was done - this is important for citation and publication metrics, and will be pulled out of the metadata of the publication by several services. The author is a separate entity to the institute which employed or supported the author. A subsequent change in affiliation - for contact details, e.g. - should be taken care of in a footnote in the front matter.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.