Someone I know (nationality French) has accepted a six-month post-doctoral fellowship in the United States. The hosting institute will sponsor a J-1 visa; my understanding is that J-1 visas are much quicker to process than H-1B visas, and since she should start as soon as possible, they opt for J-1. A J-1 Research Scholar visa has the following limitations:

Professor and Research Scholars must:


Not have participated in a J-Visa program for all or part of the 12-month period immediately preceding the start date of a professor or research scholar program unless they meet one of the following exceptions:


The participant's prior physical presence in the U.S. on a J-visa program was less than six months in duration

If she physically leaves the United States one week before the end of her contract (having been in the US for 5 months, 3 weeks), for example to attend a conference in Europe or for working from home, can she still apply for a new post-doctoral fellowship (NB: I'm not talking about an extension of the existing post-doc) at a new J-1 research scholar visa, or will a H-1B visa be the only route still accessible for a new post-doc?

  • 7
    As a person who have gone through enough visa paperwork, I have to say that the only valid answer to that question is what the person in question will get from the non-immigrant visa department of the U.S. Embassy. Any other answer will most likely be irrelevant when/if it turns out that the embassy thinks different from whatever answer(s) you might get here (or anywhere else for that matter). – posdef Feb 1 '13 at 13:51

Yale University has a very nice explanatory page for those 12 and 24-month rules, which are more complicated than the excerpts you quote:

           enter image description here

This seems to contradict your quote. Note that it says specifically “for any amount of time (one day to five years)”.

  • Oh, right; I missed to quote an earlier part Not have participated in and completed a professor or research scholar program within the last 24 months preceding the beginning date of their new program’s commencement. I guess my quote relates to J-1 visas that are not Research Scholar visas... – gerrit Feb 1 '13 at 13:39
  • I have been in that situation with a short-term visiting scholar and I could get a new J-1 but I had to leave the country and apply for a new visa. Maybe it might have been possible to transfer the SEVIS fee to the new visa without paying it again. – Herman Toothrot Feb 1 '13 at 15:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.