Is it advisable to get copyright on a research proposal and an academic article before submitting them?

Do you think there are some distinctions between the two cases mentioned (a research proposal and a scientific paper).

I refer to legislations of Western countries, mainly.

  • What do you mean by "get copyright"? Could you indicate your country, please, maybe along with a brief description what the term "get copyright" entails in your jurisdiction, based upon your understanding? – O. R. Mapper Sep 11 '16 at 18:24
  • Sorry, I am not English mother tongue. I am from Italy. – Always learning Sep 11 '16 at 18:35
  • 2
    I have added the appropriate country-tag to your question. The WP article on copyright in Italy suggests that "Italian law does not require any copyright formalities such as registration or deposit for copyright to subsist. The Civil Code (Art. 2576) and Law no. 633 (Art. 6) provide that the rights are first acquired upon creation of the work as a particular expression of the intellectual effort." I am not posting this as an answer, though, as I think an answer should refer to (and translate from) the primary source rather ... – O. R. Mapper Sep 11 '16 at 18:38
  • ... than relying only on a shortened translation of the original legislation, and one found on Wikipedia at that. There are various Italian regulars on Academia SE, maybe one of them will write an answer. – O. R. Mapper Sep 11 '16 at 18:38
  • But I am not applying in Italy, but I guess it is the same everywhere, as suggested by Nicole Hamilton – Always learning Sep 11 '16 at 18:40

A copyright exists on your original work from the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form. No marking or registration is needed.

Here in the US, this may be helpful: Copyright in General

(In 1989, the US became a party to the Berne Convention, now followed by 171 countries. So the law here should be similar to where you live. But check your government's site or with an IP attorney if a lot is at stake.)

  • Thank you! I am European, however and I am going to apply to European institutions, while it may happen that I will submit papers to American journals, who knows. – Always learning Sep 11 '16 at 18:24
  • 2
    The US now follows international conventions (we didn't always) so the rules should be pretty close where you live. But check your own government's site or, if necessary, with an IP attorney if a lot is at stake. – Nicole Hamilton Sep 11 '16 at 18:28
  • It's worth noting that some journals will require you to sign over some of your copyright privileges as a prerequisite for publication. – Rick Decker Sep 11 '16 at 21:53

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.