I am about to undergo surgery after which I will end up with small titanium rods in my body. I wanted to ask if i would be able to continue working in my chosen field (which involves MBE (molecular beam epitaxy) and working with other devices with strong magnets). Wondering if I should switch my research field to a non-magnetic environment.

I have asked my doctor who says that it's a big no for pacemakers, but it should be okay if i don't spend too much time near those machines.

Wanted to ask if any one knows of cases, or has experienced anything like this?

  • 6
    Ask your doctor what "too much" time means. Not strangers on the Internet who don't know your medical history.
    – ff524
    Aug 29, 2016 at 4:43
  • This isn't enough for an answer (it's not precisely relevant, and kind of a side-answer), but I had some titanium plates and screws put inside me which were later removed once the bone was sufficiently healed as to be able to withstand daily movement without them. It took about 1.5 years. This isn't ideal, but at least it's an option, although it may take some time and be dependent upon your recovery. Aug 29, 2016 at 5:36
  • 6
    You shouldn't be allowed to work in a magnet lab if you don't know the answer to this question. Aug 29, 2016 at 10:49
  • 3
    "titanium is not ferromagnetic, so you should even be able to go into an MR" Paramagnetic materials also experience magnetic forces. This is dangerous advice. Also, it might be an alloy. Aug 29, 2016 at 11:03
  • 2
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is a request for specific medical advice in a health-critical situation, which should be directed to medical and physics professionals with full knowledge of the individual case.
    – jakebeal
    Aug 29, 2016 at 14:05

1 Answer 1


If you have a paramagnetic body implant, you must never enter a strong magnetic field. You should consult with your institution's safety department about establishing appropriate controls, procedures, and permissible exposures. Probably you can continue to work in a magnet lab, but only when the magnet is off. An appropriate interlock should be used.

Magnet injuries


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .