I am a professional freelance editor. I edited a thesis and subsequently the candidate has refused to pay my fee. Can I claim intellectual property rights over those editing changes and require the candidate not to use them in their submitted or published thesis?

  • 2
    "I edited a thesis" Is this legal in your country? – scaaahu Aug 21 '16 at 12:08
  • 1
    @scaaahu it is fairly common when the thesis is written in English by a non native speaker. I see no problem in that, neither legal nor moral. The thesis is supposed to show that the candidate can do independent research. Letting somebody else check the English is good practice in real research, so why not during the thesis? – Maarten Buis Aug 21 '16 at 12:53
  • @MaartenBuis I think it depends on what the OP meant by "edit". If the OP simply fixed the grammar errors, what is the "intellectual property rights" the OP is talking about? – scaaahu Aug 21 '16 at 12:59
  • 2
    @scaaahu my suspicion is that the OP is thinking in the wrong direction. Instead of property rights (s)he should think in terms of a contract. – Maarten Buis Aug 21 '16 at 13:03
  • 1
    @MaartenBuis: "The thesis is supposed to show that the candidate can do independent research" - well, it depends on the amount of editing necessary, but the thesis is also, somehow, useful for showing that the PhD candidate is able to present their work in a coherent text that is usable without excessive efforts in post-processing. Indeed, I consider that a part of "doing independent research" (or, let's say, doing pretty much anything related to information or knowledge independently). – O. R. Mapper Aug 21 '16 at 16:00

I think you'd be well within your rights to take the offender to Small Claims Court for non-payment.

  • Thanks for that advice and it's probably what I will do. – mochaval Aug 22 '16 at 22:28
  • @mochaval No problem. Good luck. – Inquisitive Aug 22 '16 at 22:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.