Usually an applicant for a faculty position in different Indian academic institutes requires to have at least three years of research experience excluding his/her PhD. The time span may differ depending on the institutes and/or particular country. I was wondering how does one calculate the time span of research experience?

More particularly, does that 'experience' start with just joining a postdoc position or defending one's thesis or only after obtaining the formal degree?

  • 2
    I suspect what's actually required is not actually research experience (or to more accurately describe what you seem to be asking about, time after PhD), but rather research results. – JeffE Jul 10 '16 at 19:44
  • 2
    Sorry, what do you mean by research results? Usual advertisement for assistant professorship at IITs in India reads like : "At least 3 years teaching / research / industrial experience, excluding however, the experience gained while pursuing Ph.D. " For associate professorship this is 6 years teaching / research / industrial experience. – Physics Moron Jul 10 '16 at 21:59
  • Is there that much of a difference between defending a thesis and formal degree? I'm not familiar with the Indian system, but my interpretation would be 3 academic years, rather than 36 months, so I wouldn't think there would be too much difference in most cases, provided you get a postdoc right after your PhD. – Kimball Jul 11 '16 at 0:32
  • Yes. Most of the time people join postdocs (specially in India institutes) just submitting their theses. They defend their theses usually 6-8 months later. – Physics Moron Jul 11 '16 at 6:39
  • 2
    Sorry, what do you mean by research results? --- Strong publications, with first authorship (if that matters in your field). My point is that the outcome of your research is likely to matter far more than the time you've spent doing it, no matter what the ad says. – JeffE Jul 11 '16 at 11:59

According to recent notification from UGC, research experience during PhD can also be included for teaching post.

Specially, in a notice dated 1 March 2016, it says:

The issue regarding counting of the period of active service spent on pursuing Ph.D. was considered by the UGC in its 512th Meeting held on 4th February, 2016.

The clarification of University Grants Commission is as follows:

"the period of active service spent on pursuing Research Degree i.e. for acquiring Ph.D. degree simultaneously without taking any kind of leave may be counted as teaching experience for the purpose of direct recruitment/promotion to the post of Associate Professor and above."

enter image description here

  • Can you provide a supporting citation, such as a link to this notification you mention and the relevant quote from it? – ff524 Jul 12 '16 at 8:26
  • @ff524 : I have modified my answer. See if it useful now. – IgotiT Jul 12 '16 at 8:43
  • Recently this notification came into limelight in media but there is still glitch in it. – IgotiT Jul 12 '16 at 8:53
  • 'Period of active service' does it mean full time PhD student? By the way, in some earlier job advertisement, they mentioned it clearly that 'experience during PhD study' would not be considered. – Mithun Jul 12 '16 at 15:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.