The plagiarism was noted in an online forum frequented by economists. The editor of said journal is now accusing the site of sexism and flat out refuses to address the plagiarism accusation. What can be done?

Here's a summary of the situation


  • Plagiarism (and other forms of academic misconduct) will be dealt with by the department or university of the author of the paper. If there is an outside finding agency, maybe they would act.
    – GEdgar
    Commented Jun 26, 2016 at 18:14
  • 2
    Assuming you're referring to this issue, "flat out refuses to address the plagiarism accusation" is not an accurate characterization of the editor's response; you just disagree with how the editor addressed it (by allowing the authors to add citations). Anyways, to get a useful answer here, you'll have to be more specific in your question. What kind of action are you looking for here (what are you hoping to accomplish by said action)? Please edit your post to clarify.
    – ff524
    Commented Jun 26, 2016 at 18:35
  • 2
    In addition to clarifying what kind of action you're looking for, you'll also have to clarify what your position is if you want to know what actions you can take. Are you a student? Full professor? Author of the original paper? Peer reviewer of the paper you consider plagiarized? Another editor at the same journal? Different actions are available to different people. Please edit your post to clarify
    – ff524
    Commented Jun 26, 2016 at 18:42
  • 1
  • 2
    The write-up at Retraction Watch doesn't seem to give a fair overview of the situation at all. I'd recommend reading the original thread at Econ Job Rumors; it really is rather shocking. Commented Jun 27, 2016 at 5:23


Browse other questions tagged .