I want to fund basic research, particularly one research lab which does what I like. Can someone point me to resources on how to set up a fund to support the research? The fund would be in USA, and the lab is overseas.

closed as off-topic by Bob Brown, Davidmh, Mad Jack, Buzz, ff524 Jun 26 '16 at 18:00

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "The answer to this question strongly depends on individual factors such as a certain person’s preferences, a given institution’s regulations, the exact contents of your work or your personal values. Thus only someone familiar can answer this question and it cannot be generalised to apply to others. (See this discussion for more info.)" – Mad Jack, Buzz
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    The simplest approach would be to just give your money to the head of the lab. There could be reasons to go with something more complicated; e.g., tax benefits for you, or you're worried someone will pocket the money instead of using it for research. – David Ketcheson Jun 26 '16 at 14:05
  • 2
    Yes, the tax is very important aspect. I hate to hand 30% of the money to the government. Also, since the lab is overseas, there could be constraints and considerations related to security and money laundering. – Aksakal Jun 26 '16 at 14:08
  • 3
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is a legal question, not an academic question. You need a U.S. tax lawyer who understands foundations. – Bob Brown Jun 26 '16 at 14:18

Talk to your attorney or certified public/chartered accountant and the development or giving department at the university in question. Both deal with these kinds of issues constantly. You need tax advice in your location and giving advice in theirs. These are common questions for universities which like to receive charitable donations and want their donators to be best advantaged in their contributions. They may be able to recommend attorneys and accountants with experience in donation laws in your and their jurisdictions.


Assuming this is a university lab that you wish to fund, you could contact the head of the lab and/or the pertinent administrative unit (e.g. VP of R&D) of the university that they belong to. Depending on the amount of money involved, the size of the university, and how well-connected you are; you may even consider contacting the president of the university.

It is likely that the university has been a party to this sort of arrangement before, or that they are at least prepared. Most probably they already have procedures, frameworks, contracts, etc. that can guide the effort. They can also advise you on legal and tax-related issues.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.