If a technological bachelor technologist has the necessary funding to the tuition fees, some years of work experience, excellent GPA/TOEFL/GRE/recommendation letters, can she/he apply for a master degree course in a top american university (such as MIT, UC Berkeley, Stanford, etc) and compete in the normal process?


For example, in Brazil they call this degree tecnólogo, but in many countries it could be equivalent to a Bachelor of Technology or B.Tech. In my specific case, it is a Bachelor of Information Technology.

  • 1
    i s'pose it depends on the discipline. if you were in some Electronics Technology field with, perhaps, a 2-year degree, to be useful in an Electrical Engineering graduate program you would possibly need some serious theoretical study in advanced mathematics and in systems theory. EETs might not understand the Fourier Transform as deeply as EEs or other engineers/physics/math graduates do. – robert bristow-johnson Jun 15 '16 at 20:08
  • 5
    For something like this (that's fairly institution-specific, I personally feel), you're probably better off contacting the admission departments at these universities and asking them directly than you are asking random strangers on the internet :) They'll be able to help you see if your 4-year degree prepared you for their respective curricula. – tonysdg Jun 15 '16 at 21:29
  • 1
    And, to follow up on @tonysdg comment, they can also point out any specific courses they would want you to have had, and places to take them (either there or, say, at a local community college). – Jon Custer Jun 15 '16 at 22:19
  • 3
    I'm rather confused by this question: what does "technologist" mean in this context, and how are they distinct from other students? – jakebeal Jun 15 '16 at 22:32
  • 1
    @VictorF It currently has three votes to reopen, including mine. Hopefully two more will agree. – jakebeal Jun 21 '16 at 14:06