Should I reference him/her as a normal author or as an editor using the abbreviation 'ed.' (Harvard style)?

1 Answer 1


Usually, magazine and news articles include the author name at the beginning or the end of the article, or at least some short form like an abbreviation that denotes the relevant author that you could look up. This is the person you ought to refer to as 'author'.

If you're not sure about the author, it would be better denote the editor as the 'editor' not as an author. It would be best to contact the editor to know the identity of the author if possible. But this would not always apply since a few authors prefer anonymity in certain articles.

  • Sorry, I should have added that my question falls in case where there's no clear author, just a name and the word 'editor' beside it.
    – R. AS.
    Jun 2, 2016 at 4:34
  • @R.AS.: Then the second paragraph would apply. Anyway, the first paragraph would serve to add clarity.
    – Ébe Isaac
    Jun 2, 2016 at 4:35
  • But I am confused, aren't all newspapers/magazines authors actually 'editors'?
    – R. AS.
    Jun 2, 2016 at 4:37
  • @R.AS.: It is ambiguous when you look at this as there is a clear meaning when you use the term journal editors but not the same in this case. At times it is similar to a journal editor; an editor's job would be to compile the articles they collect from the concerned authors.
    – Ébe Isaac
    Jun 2, 2016 at 4:41
  • Exactly. That's my point. Unlike a journal or a book editor, newspapers/magazines editors are the majority I think...
    – R. AS.
    Jun 2, 2016 at 4:43

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .