I earned a MS degree a while back. I went back to school for another degree that happens to a "lower" degree...associates of science. Can I wear my Master's hood while getting the AS degree at graduation?

closed as off-topic by David Richerby, Wrzlprmft, Davidmh, Brian Tompsett - 汤莱恩, Massimo Ortolano May 21 '16 at 15:44

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "The answer to this question strongly depends on individual factors such as a certain person’s preferences, a given institution’s regulations, the exact contents of your work or your personal values. Thus only someone familiar can answer this question and it cannot be generalised to apply to others. (See this discussion for more info.)" – David Richerby, Wrzlprmft, Davidmh, Brian Tompsett - 汤莱恩, Massimo Ortolano
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    You have not said which country etc. Might make a difference... – Brian Tompsett - 汤莱恩 May 17 '16 at 21:36
  • 5
    Usually if you're receiving a degree, you wear the attire corresponding to the degree you're receiving. Why would you want to wear your master's attire? – ff524 May 17 '16 at 22:08
  • 3
    At both the universities I've attended, the graduate attire was stipulated when submitting my "intent to graduate" (and yes, it was based of the degree received in both cases as observed by @ff524). So in this case I'd ask your university's bookstore or registrar – JGreenwell May 17 '16 at 23:11
  • 8
    I'd avoid doing this regardless of whether it is officially allowed. You motives may be completely pure (maybe you just want to celebrate both degrees, or enjoy wearing the fanciest regalia to which you are entitled), but it could come across as denigrating the associate degree by seeming too eager to make sure everyone knows that you have a higher and more prestigious degree. – Anonymous Mathematician May 18 '16 at 3:46
  • 2
    @AnonymousMathematician That depends entirely on the university. For example, at Cambridge, the only correct graduation attire is the gown associated with the highest degree you already hold, along with the hood of the highest degree you're receiving that day. (So, for example, I received my BA wearing my undergrad gown and a BA hood, and my MA and PhD on the same day, wearing the BA gown and PhD hood.) – David Richerby May 20 '16 at 19:55