I am working on a manuscript and need some collaborations in the part which is out of my expertise. I personally don't know anyone in this field.

It will be a good paper to be published in a top journal. How can I find a co-author to help with this?

Is it OK if I send my manuscript to some academics in the field and invite them to collaborate, or it is an odd invitation?

  • 2
    what do your supervisor/advisor thinks of this? May 3, 2016 at 21:48
  • 2
    @Prof.SantaClaus, to be clear, are you saying that there is no way for a stranger to successfully start a collaboration with you over email? May 4, 2016 at 1:32
  • 4
    @FábioDias where did this assumption come from that the OP has a supervisor?
    – Googlebot
    May 4, 2016 at 1:45
  • 4
    @All Not so much assumption as bait, because advisor is the first step... you won't do real research, at this level, without one. Someone with the experience to be PI would not ask something like this (unlikely) May 4, 2016 at 2:02
  • 2
    I suggest you using Reserchgate, whenever I need some collaboration or to use certain equipment I ask there, also I saw many of requests and questions about possible collaboration.
    – SSimon
    May 4, 2016 at 4:38

1 Answer 1


A few possible things you may do for a prospective collaboration:

  • Look for authors who published in the field which you wish to publish in (citing from this post). You ought to have researched on a set of papers from which you would have developed your idea or an enhancement to. The authors from those papers may guide you.
  • Contact in sites that facilitate collaboration and discussion like ResearchGate.net and Academia.edu. There are many who have collaborated this way and become from strangers to research associates.
  • Mail invitation; this may or may not work. A discussed in the comments, your mail may be tossed by a spam filter or even be ignored. But it has worked before for some people.

Having stated above, getting reliable co-authors, may not be so easy. This is one of the reasons why professional research ought to be conducted with a supervisor/advisor or a mentor who is established in the field. They ought to guide you along these lines.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .