Question: Can I study master's degree in another field (or adjacent field) if I have a master's degree already without a bachelor degree?

Explanation: At the moment I am studying master's degree in computer science while skipping bachelor degree based on work experience. And I was wondering if is is possible to study for example Math's or Physic's master (probably direction a bit more connected with CS) directly ? Maybe some extra courses would be needed as well?

  • For which country are you asking for?
    – bantandor
    Mar 29, 2016 at 11:11
  • For United Kingdom, but i'd say answer related to Canada, US if not UK would be very beneficial as well. Mar 29, 2016 at 11:27

1 Answer 1


Short answer is: Probably ok, so long as you demonstrate graduate-level competency and have good undergraduate grades in the adjacent field.

Long answer: Graduate work (at the Master's level) looks very different from undergraduate, so the key is demonstrating, via your application to the program (support from a faculty member in that area goes a long way too--so contacting such a person and discussing it with them before your application is important), that you are capable of self-learning and can pick up the introductory principles of the adjacent field as you go.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .