I am applying to a master program in cognitive sciences and they ask for two writing samples. I have read that published articles and even manuscripts can be good writing samples, however I have the following questions regarding the ethical and/or legal issues of doing so:
- Should I include all the authors as well as their institutions and e-mails in the manuscript I send?
- Should a writing sample include a brief introduction?
- What happens if you are not the ONLY author of the paper you want to submit? Should you specify your contribution? Does it help that you are the first author?
- Can I send just some paragraphs of the manuscript in order to keep my sample short? If I do this, should I modify all the references so that they are kept in order according to Vancouver style?
- Probably a little paranoid but, could the university use/ distribute any results I report in this unpublished manuscript?