Reading about a journal A, I understood that authors can submit papers free of charge to this journal. I have submitted a paper and received a letter of acceptence with a bill. The editor said that I have to pay print charges in order to publish my paper.

What should I do?

Can I withdraw my paper?

  • 1
    PhD students would normally have journal fees covered by their institution. I don't think there's any need to formally withdraw the paper - just notify the editor that you were unaware there was a charge and you're declining to pay. – TheMathemagician Dec 18 '15 at 17:11
  • 6
    The link does not say authors can submit papers free of charge. They actually are upfront about the $40/page pphmj.com/journals/jpfpta_author_information.htm – TheMathemagician Dec 18 '15 at 17:17
  • 3
    If that is the journal in question, it perhaps bears pointing out that this is not the reputable "Journal of Fixed Point Theory and Applications" published by Springer, but rather a deceptively named knock-off, the "JP Journal of Fixed Point Theory and Applications" – Mark Dec 19 '15 at 16:07

Yes, you may tell the editor that you were unaware of the author fees, and that since you can't pay it you are going to withdraw the paper. (They may agree to waive the fees, but if they don't, you certainly have the right to withdraw your paper and submit it elsewhere.)

In the future, you should check a journal's own instructions to authors rather than (or in addition to) third-party sites, which don't always have complete or up-to-date information about the journal.

| improve this answer | |

There are some sneaky journals where you do not find out about the fee until after submission. I wonder how often authors pay anyway, and how often they decline to pay.

| improve this answer | |
  • 3
    Only fake journals use that kind of childish deception. – Cape Code Dec 19 '15 at 15:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.