If you're submitting information for an article, and you have no institution affiliation, what should you use? I was asked for an address and all I have is an home address. That seems a bit weird to use, however.

  • In what way did they ask for this address, and in what way will it be used? For example, did they ask for it explicitly in an email, is it just part of their article template, or was it in a web form? Will it appear in the PDF of your publication? (Look at other papers published in this journal to find out.)
    – ff524
    Dec 15, 2015 at 3:21
  • 2
    It's nature communications, so it looks like it will be. I'm not actually the corresponding author, so I'm not sure on the exact details. I was just asked to provide an address, including a home address if necessary. To add to the weirdness, I've moved since submitting, and I'm about to move again.
    – user41824
    Dec 15, 2015 at 3:34
  • I'm about to move again Do you already know your future location? I am not asking the actual future address.
    – Nobody
    Dec 15, 2015 at 3:44
  • It's actually in the same city.
    – user41824
    Dec 15, 2015 at 3:54
  • Perhaps an email address would be the most useful thing to give, especially given your transience. Dec 20, 2015 at 0:54

2 Answers 2


I did a quick search to see what other independent researchers do for Nature journals, which include an author address.Specifically, I searched Google for

site:nature.com "author details" "independent researcher"

I found that authors who are independent researchers sometimes list just their city for their address, or

Independent researcher, City, Country

See for example here and here. Some do appear to give their home address, e.g. here and here.

  • Awesome, it maybe too late to change this one. It's been submitted, and I didn't realise the corresponding author had my entire address, or that it would be displayed.
    – user41824
    Dec 15, 2015 at 3:57
  • @user41824 submitted at what stage? I'm not familiar with the specific journal, but usually you can make changes up until the proofs stage - see typical workflow of a journal
    – ff524
    Dec 15, 2015 at 3:58
  • I'll ask, it's just an odd place to be when you're not the corresponding author, and you're not affiliated with him
    – user41824
    Dec 15, 2015 at 4:15
  • 2
    I am the co-corresponding independent researcher on the first linked paper in this answer. Here my case: I help my wife with her lab without formal affiliation. Full home address felt weird to me. Lab address felt wrong. Mar 21, 2016 at 17:59

Based on some previous answers, it seems that you may pay a price for not having a university affiliation. But what are you going to do? Invent an address? Maybe you could create a consulting company (which should be registered if you ever plan to derive any income from it). That line of "ClearBlue Solutions" thrown into your home address may just do the trick.

  • 3
    How do you mean 'pay a price'? I'll use it, but it seems odd, esp since I'm moving.
    – user41824
    Dec 15, 2015 at 3:14

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .