I am looking for a definition or a classification system (or a reference to an existing system) that can be used to reliably classify a very large set of articles into empirical vs. non-empirical research. The articles are all from the social sciences and represent the full range of study and article types, including qualitative and quantitative research.

  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it does not appear to be about academia, but about automated text classification. – gerrit Dec 11 '15 at 16:57
  • @gerrit: Indeed, it is involving text classification, but the question itself is on the definition of empirical versus non-empirical research produced by academics, similar to this question: academia.stackexchange.com/questions/11267/… – Brian P Dec 11 '15 at 17:14
  • Then perhaps I don't quite understand your question. – gerrit Dec 11 '15 at 18:17
  • 1
    @gerrit: You are correct that automated text classification is not on-topic here, but the subject and manner of the classification of this specific question are, as they are inherently about academia. Thus I consider this on-topic. – Wrzlprmft Dec 11 '15 at 18:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.