Are there any mathematics or physics postgraduate courses (not taught courses) in the UK where you can continue a piece of research work you did whilst an undergrad? So you effectively do a project that maybe lasts a year(ish) which is productive but you would not do it for 3 years+ and receive a PhD?

  • 1
    At my US institution we submit volunteering forms to HR, obtain permission from a faculty member for supervision, and enroll in a zero credit-hour "Independent Study" course. In this way you'd receive no credit, no payment, but tangible documentation of research. Funding would be the primary issue. I should also note that this requires enrollment with the university as a non degree-seeking student. I would speak to an advisor in your department of interest. – CKM Dec 11 '15 at 0:11
  • To second @Kimball's remark about the U.S. situation, there is often a "non-degree student" status that gives some sort of official status without requiring as much payment and without any promise of degree status enhancement. I have no idea about U.K., ... – paul garrett Dec 11 '15 at 0:18

In the UK it is possible to apply for an MPhil (Masters of Philosophy) degree (which is essentially a mini-PhD) or alternatively an MRes (Masters by Research) degree which is generally shorter.

A caveat: the MPhil may be interpreted as a botched PhD as the degree is often awarded to PhD candidates who don't cut the mustard or drop out. Don't let that put you off though.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.