I recently moved to a Nordic country in an academic position. For my first grant application, I collaborated with other researchers at the university. As I was submitting the proposal along with the CVs, I noticed that two of the researchers had mentioned their religion. I have never seen this in academia, at least in South-east Asia where I spent majority of my work life.
Here are other details that I think are relevant:
- Our research domain is engineering, not humanities or social sciences.
- Both researchers are Muslim.
- The funding agency is a private one that favors industrial collaborations.
- Is it appropriate to mention one's religion in an academic CV?
- Does mentioning one's religion help in grant proposals or academic positions? I think in a fair world it shouldn't.
- Do western countries, especially European, favor candidates who are Muslim?