I often see in the US that many engineering programs are listed as a BSc or an MSc for Master's.
In my country (New Zealand) one can obtain a BSc in three years in a science field, or, if wanting to pursue engineering, a bachelor of engineering (BE) can be attained, most often with an honours component (BE(Hons)) in four years.
The honours component includes a year long research project with thesis in the final year as well as additional non-research related coursework.
To put it simply, my question is:
- In the US, what is the duration of a BSc in an engineering field?
- Does this include an honours component such as the one I have mentioned?
- If not, is there a significant emphasis on research?
- If yes, is this something all students complete, or is it optional?
- Is this honours/research component very important to the overall degree?
My confusion arises due to the name of 'BSc' and also due to no honours being mentioned i.e. it is not 'BSc(Hons)'.